One of the biggest gripes about AIX is how security un-conscious it is. SSH now “comes with” AIX, but it’s on a separate cd. Anyway, if you want to implement it, and you really should “want” to. Here are the procedures.
Installing OpenSSH on AIX 6.1
1) Obtain the files. It’s downloadable here. Or you can find it on the expansion CD. Or the Linux toolkit for AIX CD.
2) Install the packages using whichever method suits you best smit or installp
3) Start your SSH.
AIX61# startsrc -g ssh
4) Edit your /etc/hosts.allow file. Otherwise you’ll see an error that says this:
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
5) Test it out.
Linux# ssh AIX61
How to Disable Telnet on AIX 6.1
1) Comment out telnet from /etc/inetd.conf.
2) Reload the configuration file
AIX61# refresh -s inetd
3) Test. You should get a nice error message like this:
Linux# telnet AIX6.1
telnet: connect to address 10.1.1.10: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
This post was copied in part from Ryan Tang’s Tech Notes the original article can be found at the following link: